This post was most recently updated on January 6th, 2023
Can I Airbnb my apartment in Portugal?
Airbnb is legal in Portugal, and short-term rentals are available through Airbnb. You can rent out your property in Portugal as Airbnb, but before renting out your property as a short-term rental in Portugal, you need to apply for a license to function as an Alojamento Local.
Today in this article, we are going to talk about how you can rent out your property via Airbnb, and what the rules are that you have to follow.
How much can you make on Airbnb in Portugal?
If you have a well-furnished place with all the required amenities, and considering that your place never goes vacant, you can earn somewhere between 1,500 Euro to 5,000 Euro a month on average from Airbnbing in Portugal.
Does Lisbon allow Airbnb?
Airbnb is totally legal and allowed in Lisbon. There have been some restrictions on allowing new short-term rentals in some of the districts in Portugal, but it’s totally fine in Lisbon.
How much can you make from Airbnb in Lisbon?
You can make somewhere between 1000 Euro to 3,000 Euro from Airbnb in Lisbon.
How much are Airbnb taxes in Portugal?
If you are currently renting out a room to guests, you may be required to apply VAT to your rental
charge and to pay this VAT amount to the Portuguese tax authorities. As Airbnb is not supplying
the rental, it is the responsibility of the host to consider local VAT obligations of the rental
If you have booked an Airbnb in mainland Portugal, you are obligated to pay 6% tax, and for Madeira and Azores, you have to pay 5% and 4% tax respectively.
Do you need a license for Airbnb in Portugal?
Yes, you need a license for renting out your property via Airbnb in Portugal. The license is called, “Licença de Alojamento Local” which translates into English as a short-term rental license.
Once you have the license, you can advertise not only on Airbnb but also on other major booking platforms such as Booking.com, VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner), Sonder, and Homestay.
How do I register for a license for short-term rentals in Portugal?
If you Airbnb your place without a license, then it’s a crime and you will have to pay fines.
License for short-term rental could be gained online in Portugal.
Firstly, you need to go to the website of the Portuguese Tax and Customs Authority Portal and register a new activity with CAE 55201 or 55204. You need to register using your own username and password.
Secondly, you have to go to the website of RNAL (Register Local Accommodation Number), fill in the form, and submit the following documents:
- Proof of opening of activity in the Portuguese Tax and Customs Authority with CAE 55201 or 55204;
- Land register of the property;
- Citizen’s card of the owner of the property.
- A signed declaration that your property is suitable as an Alojamento Local establishment
- Lease agreement, deeds, or other documents that entitles you to rent your property
You must provide the following information:
- Name, address, and Tax Number (NIF) of the owner/person who is going to carry out the activity
- Start date of the activity
- Capacity (rooms, beds, and users)
- Valid authorization of use of the property
- Emergency contact details
- The name adopted by the establishment and its address
After the registration of your place via Airbnb, you will get an inspection by the Municipal Councils or ASAE. Some of the mandatory requirements that you have to have at your place to pass the inspection are as below.
- Fire extinguisher
- Fire blanket
- First aid kit
- Information on the availability of complaints book
- House instruction book in 4 languages
- Acrylic identification plate: AL
If the survey has missing points, the registration number may not be assigned.
The owner of the Airbnb will be responsible for issuing invoice receipts for all the bookings he receives in his apartment, through the Portuguese Tax and Customs Authority portal, having up to 5 days to deliver them to the guests.
You have to constantly provide your data to SEF Portugal
The Foreigners and Borders Service require the data of all foreigners using national apartments and hotels to be communicated. For this, it is necessary to collect the data of all guests who stay in the apartment (and not only of those who made the reservation). The mandatory data to be submitted to the SEF is:
- ID card number
- City in which the guests were before arriving at this property
- City to which the guest is going
How do I register on the Airbnb website?
The registration cost is totally free. You can follow the following steps to register on the Airbnb website.
- Go to Airbnb.com
- Click Registration/Sign up at the top of the page
- Follow the instructions to register, then click Submit
- Repeat this process for all your listings in Portugal
Duration of short-term rentals
The rules do not require a minimum or a maximum number of nights for the property to be deemed as an Alojamento Local establishment.
You may also like to read: